Tuesday, April 1, 2008

“Football and Diamonds?"


This week’s blog is not completely about Cultured Diamonds, Mined diamonds or even the Ace of Diamonds! No, this week is about Football and Diamonds! Now I know you must be saying to yourself, “Football and Diamonds? It’s not even the right season?” “Has Erock lost his marbles?” No ladies and germs, nothing could be further from the truth. When I say Football and Diamonds, I’m talking SUPER BOWL RINGS. In particular, looking towards the NY Giants 2008 World Champion Super Bowl Rings!

It's the ultimate prize for a pro football player--a Super Bowl Championship Ring. Relatively few people will ever own one of these rings, which have become much more ornate since the Green Bay Packers were presented with the ring above after winning Super Bowl I in 1967.

The NFL pays up to $5,000.00 per ring, with up to 150 rings per team. If the rings are over the $5,000 limit, the team owners must make up the difference. Recent rings have been appraised in excess of $20,000 but manufacturers tend to keep this information confidential.

The spending limits don't actually affect the ring designs much, because jewelry companies compete heavily to be chosen as the ring provider, sometimes offering the rings at a discounted price in order to be awarded the prestigious contract.

So to recap, I have limited knowledge about Diamonds, but I am learning. I do however know quite a lot about football, but I don’t think the NY Giants would be interested in an out of shape Art Director on the squad.

Hmmm, I wonder what Renaissance Diamonds would have to do to get that ring contract? Stay tuned.

No comments: