Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Yes Billion with a "B"!

So gang, this is my first BLOG entry. People have asked me for years why I don't have one and frankly I just didn't make the time. Until now. I actually have lots to say, some might say a little too much. Well poo on them! Here we go!

I started a new job 2 weeks ago as the Art Director for Renaissance Diamonds. My diamond experience thus far in my 38 years has been minimal to say the least unless you're talking about visits to Shea or the Bronx. My 2 Diamond Jewelry transactions have consisted of buying my wife (gf at the time) 1 caret stud earrings with the help and urging of my Mom and a 2.15 caret oval engagement ring, this time with the help of my future Mother-in-Law. Both times I remember saying,"EXCUSE ME!?", "YOU WANT HOW MUCH!?" and "Eric, you LOVE her, just do it!".

Working at Renaissance Diamonds has afforded me the opportunity to enter a different side of the diamond industry, the world of Environment Friendly Cultured Diamonds. A world I honestly had no idea even existed before the interview process for this new gig. After obviously nailing the interview (shameless plug), I did some research to see what the whole fuss was about. I found that U.S. retail natural diamond sales climbed to somewhere around $34 billion in 2006, Cultured Diamonds, also known as lab-created, manufactured, lab-grown or created diamonds, hopes for 5% of that market by 2008. I'm math challenged so I took my shoes off and counted with all my digits. We're talkin 1.5 Billion Dollars annually. Ummm, count me in kids, where do I sign up?

No comments: